Financial Resources

Accredited Schools Online

Accredited Schools Online has updated their in-depth guidebook that provides financial information and options for veterans, different associations and groups. The guide is available for educational purposes and pointers on how to choose the college best suited to their needs

Teach For Texas Loan Replacement Assistance Program

The purpose of the program is to recruit and retain certified classroom teachers in fields and communities having a shortage of teachers in Texas. Applications must be completed between April 15 and June 15 for teaching during the current academic year being completed. For more information, visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Survivors' & Dependent's Educational Assistance Program

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Visit the GI Bill webiste for more information.

G.I Bill Educational Benefits

Ask your university’s Veterans Administration Benefits Counselor or your Alternative Certification Program Director if the program has been approved for the use of G.I. Bill Educational Benefits. Approved programs will have personnel to help you complete the required paperwork. See the GI Bill website for further information on your benefits in general.

Search for schools that are approved to train veterans and can use your GI Bill at the Texas Veteran Comission Approved Schools and Employers.

The Hazelwood Act

The state of Texas has its own educational benefit package. If you entered the active duty as a resident of Texas, you may qualify for this benefit under The Hazlewood Act. For additional military education information, you can also refer to the Texas Veterans Commision website.

Western Governors University Troops to Teachers Scholarships

Western Governors University is offering supplemental $1,500 scholarships to students participating in Troops to Teachers and Spouses to Teacher programs managed through the Department of Education and Department of Defense by Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES).

WGU’s Teacher College offers Bachelor and master degree programs. Recipients are eligible to apply $300 of the scholarship money per six month term at WGU, renewable up to five terms. These scholarships will allow current or former military personnel to begin new careers, utilize their knowledge and experience in the classroom, and have a positive impact on our nation’s young people.

Getting a degree at WGU is convenient and accessible since WGU is a fully-accredited online university. Degrees are earned at the student’s own pace, at times and places that are convenient to them.


Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

The Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program

Since 1965, the Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program has provided low-interest loans for students who are Texas residents and/or are eligible to pay in-state tuition. Three loan programs are under the Hinson-Hazlewood umbrella: the College Access Loan (CAL) Program, the Health Education Loan Program (HELP), and the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP – Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans).

VA Reimbursement Form

If you have already taken any tests towards your teaching certificate, you may be eligible for reimbursement of your testing fees.

Print the Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees, fill it out and send your completed VA reimbursement form to:

Western Region
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

Visit for more information on eligibility criteria.

Ready To Get Started?

The first step to begin this life-changing mission is to complete and submit the Troops to Teachers online application.

Contact Us

We are here to provide you with guidance on how to meet state teaching certification requirements, choosing a certification program, and connecting you with hiring officials.
Please complete the form below or call us at 1-800-810-5484 to get started today.

Preferred Method of Contact:

This program operates under a grant from the DoD. Use of this logo does not imply or constitute an endorsement of DANTES, the DoD, or any Military Department.