Frequently Asked Questions

What is Troops to Teachers?

Troops to Teachers was established in 1993 to assist transitioning Service members and veterans in beginning new careers as K-12 school teachers in public, charter, and Bureau of Indian Education schools.

What is the purpose of Troops to Teachers?

Troops to Teachers (TTT) is designed primarily as an advisement service to assist military personnel and veterans transition to a new career as public school teachers in “high-needs” schools and districts. A network of state offices provides specific guidance on the routes and programs leading to certification in each respective state. In some cases, TTT also provides financial assistance to eligible veterans.

What is the Texas Troops to Teachers office?

The Texas TTT office provides information specifically pertaining to certification issues in our state. We are the first point of contact in helping you devise your certification strategy, including routes and options for certification, as well as identifying potential financial aid sources.

How can Troops to Teachers help me become certified?

Although we do not train nor certify teachers, we can guide you to the programs best suited for your needs and assist you in registering with TTT for possible funding.

What do Counseling and Referral Services Consist Of?

Counseling and referral services consist of guidance on how to meet state teaching certification requirements and choose a certification program. Any current or former member of the armed forces is eligible for counseling and referral services.

What Do Placement Assistance Services Consist Of?

Placement assistance services consists of connecting eligible members of the armed forces with hiring officials.

Who is Eligible for the Program?

Former and retired members of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, Reserve components and National Guard.

How Much Money is Available?

Financial assistance may be provided to eligible individuals to help pay for teacher certification costs as bonuses of up to $10,000. Bonus recipients must agree to teach for three (3) years in school locations that meet certain Department of Education criteria. The maximum amount of assistance is $10,000 per person.

What are the specific Financial Requirements?

Bonuses of $10,000 are available to those who are hired to teach in a high-needs school.

How do I determine if I am eligible for financial assistance?

To be eligible for funding, you must meet both educational and military service requirements.

What are the Educational Requirements?

To teach elementary or secondary academic subjects, you must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university. To teach vocational subjects, you must have the equivalent of a high school diploma and five (5) of the last ten years of wage-earning experience.

What if I don’t qualify for Troops to Teachers funding?

TTT can still provide you with information and guidance to help you find the certification program that fits your needs. In addition, we can possibly identify some other funding sources that may be available to help you manage the costs of your program (i.e. local and state funding, VA educational benefits such as GI Bill).

Is There a Program Application Deadline?

Program applications must be submitted within three years of retirement or separation to receive financial assistance, with the exception of retired Reserves.

If your program application is not submitted within three years of retirement or separation you will not be eligible for financial assistance, but will be eligible to receive counseling and referral services.

How to Obtain a Record of Service or a DD-214?

You can obtain a Record of Service or DD-214 over the internet by going to eVetRecs and following the instructions provided.

How do I get hired?

Once you have been admitted to a certification program, the program will provide guidance on when and how to start seeking a job. If you are in an alternative certification program, you will need to find a job to complete your internship phase. You will be paid a full teacher salary and benefits during the internship.

What kinds of teachers are needed in Texas?

Texas has many critical shortage areas. The greatest needs are in special education, math and science. In addition, there is a need for bilingual elementary and English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers. Individual school districts may have other subject areas that are considered “hard to fill.”

Ready To Get Started?

The first step to begin this life-changing mission is to complete and submit the Troops to Teachers online application.

Please Note

You are about to leave the Troops to Teachers website and access an external website.

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the (Department of Defense/the U.S. Army/the U.S. Navy/the U.S. Air Force/the U.S. Marine Corps, etc.); this Website; or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation sites, the (Department of Defense/the U.S. Army/the U.S. Navy/the U.S. Air Force/the U.S. Marine Corps, etc.) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.

Press [Okay] to continue to the requested page, or close window to remain on the Troops to Teachers website.

Requested URL:

Request A Meeting

We are here to provide you with guidance on how to meet state teaching certification requirements, choosing a certification program, and connecting you with hiring officials.
Please complete the form below or call us at 1-800-810-5484 to get started today.

Preferred Method of Contact:

This program operates under a grant from the DoD. Use of this logo does not imply or constitute an endorsement of DANTES, the DoD, or any Military Department.