Welcome to Troops to Teachers-Texas!

Join us monthly for our live video briefings.

Click here for more information.

Job Opportunities

"This program operates under a grant from the DoD. Use of this logo does not imply or constitute endorsement of Dantes, the DoD, or any Military Department"


Front and Center
Honor Roll
The Journey
Education Agency (TEA)


Career and Technical Educaton (CTE) Certification Procedures
(Formerly known as "Vocational" Education;
Based on experience and preparation in skill area)

Many servicemembers leave the military with advanced technical skills in areas where the public schools offer CTE education to their students. The process for certification in a CTE area is very different from standard subject area certification and can sometimes be accomplished even without a bachelor's degree. The following information is a general outline of the procedure. Specific guidance will be obtained from the university which evaluates your experience. You might want to call school districts in the area where you hope to teach, and ask them if they offer or plan to offer CTE classes in your experience field.

The basic process is as follows:

  1. Contact the university closest to you that is authorized to evaluate experience for CTE education programs. Listed below are some of the authorized institutions. Ask your school district which institution normally does the experience evaluations for the specific CTE program that interests you.
  2. Request that they send you a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) form, and give you exact instructions on other documents that they may need to do the evaluation.
  3. Submit completed SOQ, required documents and evaluation fee to the university point of contact.
  4. After the university evaluates your documentation, they will issue you a deficiency plan, which will detail the courses that you must ultimately take to complete certification. This often involves up to 18 Semester Hours of CTE courses, plus a course in the US/Texas Constitution or government. Depending on how many credits are required, you will be given between 1 and 3 years to complete course work.
  5. Once the deficiency plan is created, you may apply to school districts to teach on a probationary certificate for up to 3 years.  You will teach at full pay and benefits for the school district.
  6. Before certification is authorized, you must take and pass the applicable Texas Examination of Education Standards (TExES).

Go back to 'Routes to Certification'

Free Hit Counter

Last updated on May 17, 2018

Contact the Webmaster for questions about this site.

2015© Texas Troops to Teachers