Post Baccalaureate Programs
- Contact a Texas university that has a College of Education and has been approved to train and certify teachers.
- If required, take the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) to assess competency in reading, math, and English skills (formerly called TASP test). Other admission tests may be required as well, if applying for graduate credit.
- Submit all transcripts of college work and request a certification plan from the institution in the area for which you are seeking certification.
- Complete courses on the certification plan and do student teaching or field internship.
- Pass the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) required for your specific teaching fields.
- Upon completion of your certification plan, the university recommends you to SBEC for a Standard Professional Teacher Certificate.
- Some university plans can be completed using on-line courses and special arrangements for student teaching and field internships.
Go back to 'Routes to Certification'