Troops to Teachers

Charter Corner

Job Opportunities
Front and Center
Honor Roll
The Journey
Texas Education Agency (TEA)
Contact Us


Financial Aid

Dantes - Troops To Teachers

Program Function

Pending availability of funds, financial assistance may be provided to eligible individuals in the form of a stipend up to $5K to help pay for teacher certification costs, or a bonus of $10K to teach in a "high needs" school. Placement assistance and referral services are also available to help participants identify employment opportunities and teacher certification programs. Troops to Teachers State Support Offices have been established in over 25 states to assist participants with certification requirements and employment leads.
The Troops to Teachers Home Page provides information and resource links to help participants transition to a second career in public education. The Troops to Teachers Home page includes a job referral system to allow participants to search for job vacancies as well as links to State Departments of Education, model resumes, other job listing sites in public education, and other pertinent information.


Those interested in receiving financial aid must first meet the Troops to Teachers Eligibility Criteria. Those who meet the criteria and are interested in elementary or secondary teaching positions must have a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college. Those interested in teaching vocational subjects (e.g., electronics, automotive repair, construction trades, etc.) are required to have the equivalent of one year of college and six years of related experience.

To be eligible for funding, you must meet both educational and military service requirements.

Educational Requirements:
• To teach elementary or secondary academic subjects, you must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university
• To teach vocational subjects, you must have the equivalent of a high school diploma and five (5) of the last eight years of wage-earning experience.

Military Service Requirements:
Individuals in the following categories may apply for Financial Assistance
(AD = Active Duty; RC = Reserve Component, including National Guard):

AD-1. Retired from active duty
AD-2. Active duty member, with approved date of retirement, with one (1) year or less remaining before retirement
AD-3. Separated on, or after, January 8, 2002 for physical disability. Must register with TTT within three (3) years after separation
RC-1. Retired from drilling reserves or Guard
RC-2. Currently serving in the drilling reserves or Guard, with six (6) or more years of creditable service towards retirement, and commit to serving an additional three (3) years, or until eligible for retirement
RC-3. Separated from the drilling reserves or Guard due to a physical disability on, or after, January 8, 2002. Must register with TTT within three (3) years of separation
RC-4. Individuals transitioning from active duty on, or after, January 8, 2002, and have served four (4) years on active duty immediately before separation, or a cumulative of six (6) years active and reserve duty, and commit to three (3) years with a drilling reserve or Guard unit. Must register with TTT within three (3) years after separation.


Those interested in Troops to Teachers can contact the Texas Troops to Teachers Office for a registration form, or go to the DANTES Troops to Teachers page to register online.

Individuals on active duty may register for the Troops to Teachers program at any time. They will not be eligible to apply for funding or referral assistance until one year from retirement.

Return to top of page

Other Financial Resources

Contact us for more information on any of these programs.

G.I Bill Educational Benefits

Ask your university's Veterans Administration Benefits Counselor or your Alternative Certification Program Director if the program has been approved for the use of G.I. Bill Educational Benefits. Approved programs will have personnel to help you complete the required paperwork. See the GI Bill website for further information on your benefits in general.

To search for schools that are approved to train veterans, where you can use your GI Bill click here: Texas Veteran Comission Approved Schools and Employers.

Return to top of page

The Hazlewood Act

The state of Texas has its own educational benefit package. If you entered the active duty as a resident of Texas, you may qualify for this benefit under The Hazlewood Act. For additional military education information, you can also refer to the Texas Veterans Commission website.

Return to top of page

The Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program

Since 1965, the Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program has provided low-interest loans for students who are Texas residents and/or are eligible to pay in-state tuition. Three loan programs are under the Hinson-Hazlewood umbrella: the College Access Loan (CAL) Program, the Health Education Loan Program (HELP), and the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP – Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans).

Return to top of page

Survivors' & Dependent's Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

See more information on the GI Bill website

Return to top of page

Teach For Texas Loan Replacement Assistance Program

The purpose of the program is to recruit and retain certified classroom teachers in fields and communities having a shortage of teachers in Texas. Applications must be completed between April 15 and June 15 for teaching during the current academic year being completed. For more information, visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Note: Fax copies of the application will not be accepted.

Return to top of page


Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

Return to top of page

VA Reimbursement Form

If you have already taken any tests towards your teaching certificate, you may be eligible for reimbursement of your testing fees.

Click here, for a copy of the Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees.

Print the form, fill it out and send it the address for TX on the reverse side. Send your completed VA reimbursement form to:

Western Region
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

Western Governors University Troops to Teachers Scholarships

Western Governors University is offering supplemental $1,500 scholarships to students participating in Troops to Teachers and Spouse to Teachers programs managed through the Department of Education and Department of Defense by Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Bachelor and master degree programs are offered by WGU’s Teachers College.
WGU will allow recipients to apply $300 of the scholarship money per six month term at WGU, renewable up to five terms. These scholarships will allow current or former military personnel to begin new careers, utilize their knowledge and experience in the classroom, and have a positive impact on our nation’s young people.
Getting a degree at WGU is convenient and accessible since WGU is a fully-accredited online university, which is competency-based. WGU students earn their degrees by demonstrating their competency and skills in various disciplines by taking a series of carefully designed assessments. Degrees are earned at the student’s own pace, at times and places that are convenient to them.

Return to top of page



Free Hit Counter

Last Updated: March 27, 2015

Please contact our Webmaster for more information about this site.
2011 © Texas Troops to Teachers